Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972) - LP Atlantic Records




Shortly after Close To The Edge was released by Yes, Bill Bruford, their excellent and supremely talented drummer left to go play with King Crimson - because he felt that there could be no better album than this, their fifth effort and one of a few prog must-haves. It's a very successful effort, one that sees some amazing arranging and song writing, pushing the envelope of prog rock without being the slightest bit pretentious. It's imagnitive and moving, rocking and mellow, virtuosic and easy to access.

The album opener, 'Close To The Edge' is an amazing 18-minute, LP side long track that is arranged like a classical piece, with a ton of sections and is one of my favorite Yes tracks. Everyone gets a chance to shine and it is equal parts art and emotion, a perfect combination for prog rock.


The album artwork is by Roger Dean, who just might be the perfect artist for progressive rock, giving the listener a world into which they can gaze while listing to a heady mix of music. He crafted a number of Yes album covers at a time when gatefold covers were the norm and using them at his canvas, he gave the band an excellent esthetic identity.

It's an easy album to find and one that is a great starting point for anyone ready to take a step into the world of progressive rock. I picked this up from Reckless on Milwaukee with most of their catalog, each for a few dollars a piece. Good thing about prog rock - it's pretty inexpensive.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, DRB, I am amazed when I find out how much we seem to have in common with our hobbies! I got into these guys when I was in college. I actually have this album in much better condition if you would like to trade sometime. Just let me know and I will bring it up to Chicago. I think I have 2 or 3 other gate-fold albums of theirs.

    Good stuff beyond doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - an amazing group for sure. It's funny, but so many people get snobbish about music and for years I just thought prog was for record store clerks and 1970's rock devotees. Glad I just listen to what I like now aday - though, I do get some funny looks from friends from time to time when I put in certain records. I just don't mind anymore!

    ReplyDelete