Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sleep - Dopesmoker (2003) LP Tee Pee Records



OK, for those who do not know me through one of my other blogs, I am HUGE Sleep fan. So much so that I have a blog totally dedicated to their live/bootleg recordings - check the side bar. Their catalog of material is excellent, from Volume 1 to their last effort and one of my top five favorite records, Dopesmoker.

When I start looking for a record and just cannot find one at a good price or even at all, I have Reckless put me on a call list for it, so that if a copy comes in, they'll hold it for me and call when its in. They get lot for stock in and it gets rotated very frequently, so they are a great source to have here in Chicago. It's also awesome that its only four blocks away from my apartment.



I had been waiting for an LP copy of Dopesmoker to pop up on eBay or a local store for something less than the 100 bones they seem to sell around. I waited a while and no luck at all.

So I asked Reckless to call when they got one in, figured I would never hear from them again and even the guy behond the counter kinda shrugged as if to say 'good luck'.

Two weeks later I get a call - "Hey, this is Reckless and we got in your copy of Sleep's Dopesmoker on LP for you for $14.99...'

I listeded to the message at my desk at work, promptly got up and fist pumped for quite some time and smiled for the rest of the day.

When I went to pick it up, the guy at Reckless smiled, handed over the record and was like, "Damn, so how long have you been waiting for that call?" "Two weeks," I said. I told him I never expected to see it and he told me his boss ran over to him as he was leaving that meggase, telling him that $14.99 was about $40 less than they should be selling it. "So you got a pretty good deal, man...' Yup, I certainly did!

This copy is completely mint - it looks like they took the plastic off behind the counter. I'm extactic that I own a copy of this on LP - even if I have 4 copies on CD - including a sealed copy I bought from Everyday Music in Seattle for $15.

If you haven't listened to the record, all I can say is, go get a copy and tune out for about an hour. It's an amazingly heavy, landmark stoner rock recording that still blows me away everytime I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment