Friday, June 10, 2011

Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Break The Rules (1976) LP A&M Records



This is one of the last Budgie albums from their period with Tony Bourge, who really was one of the key elements of their sound and a terrific song writer. The tracks here as a whole are not as solid as some of their earlier releases, but there are some very good tracks nontheless, such as 'If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules,' 'You're Opening Doors' and 'Sky High Percentage.'



Yet another good find from Laurie's Planet of Sound, this was actually bought on my first trip there! After looking through all of my local shops for Budgie LP's years, I had only managed to find a copy of 1975's Bandolier and 1978's Impeckable (Tony Bourge's last record with Budgie). I didn't expect to find anything at Laurie's, but in the NEW ARRIVIALS bin I found copies of If I Were Brittania..., 1981's Nightflight and 1982's Deliver Us From Evil. I bought the first two as their later efforts are mostly miss-able - at least for the time being.

The cover has some water damager at the bottom, but the vinyl is in excellent shape and plays fantastically. I almost didn't buy it because of the water damage, but the price was right and Budgie records come up so rarely, I really couldn't pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment