Thursday, June 23, 2011

Corrosion Of Conformity - Animosity (1985) LP Death/Metal Blade Records





I'm not sure just how to explain how much I love this record or count how many times I have listened to it. It's a lot. A helluva lot. It may be the most listened to record in my 1000+ lp collection.

I bought this back in 1989, a few years after it was released. I was about 13 and had just gotten into Nuclear Assault, D.R.I., The Misfits, Metallica (Master of Puppets especially), Exodus, Anthrax and a ton of other thrash bands. I bought this LP after seeing a COC shirt on someone from some band I liked, I cant remember who, but the spiked skull with the biohazard logo was just brilliant and I knew the band had to be good.



I was right. This record blew me away. It's relentlessly fast and gruff, a perfect mix of thrash and punk and death metal, back when all those genres were coming into their own. The vocals are harsh and brutal, before low grumbling became the norm, somewhere between James Hetfield and Chuck Scholdinger. Some tracks are also done with some brutal vocal effect, like a screeching distortion, and none are better than 'Prayer'. The songs draw every bit of emotion out of me when I am feeling pissed off, frustrated, and angry - and its had that power over me for the last 20+ years.

Animosity is C.O.C.'s second release, after the Eye For An Eye LP in 1984 and the follow up, Technocracy, is an awesome EP, a perfect continuation of Animosity's great song writing and break neck pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment