Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cannabis Corpse - Blunted at Birth (2006) LP Forcefield Records




I have known about Cannabis Corpse for a while, but only that they were a weed-laced tribute to Cannibal Corpse, but never looked in on them as I assumed they were nothing but a joke band. I picked this LP up on a whim, mostly thinking it would be worth a laugh and nothing much more. Boy, was I wrong. I brought it home, put it on and after the first side of the LP, I turned to my fiancee, Linda and told her I was gonna buy their entire catalog immediately. Which I did that night.

Cannabis Corpse are an excellent, brutal death metal band delivering a heavy punch of accomplished VA death metal by some very talented guys. They are also a heart-felt tribute to Cannibal Corpse with the name of the band and all the song titles (at least on the first two records) references to that legendary band. The songs and lyrics, however, are totally original. And brutal and fantastic and totally impressive.


The band is made up of Richmond, VA metal heads with Phil 'LandPhil' Hall (from Municipal Waste) and his brother Josh 'HallHammer' Hall as the two founding members. It's a side project band, but that in no way explains how good they are. It feels like a well-rehearsed machine with some fantastic riffs and guitar work. The vocals are guttural and extreme but well-done and actually partially understandable. It also helps that the LP comes with a lyric sheet - and holy shit, there is some very funny stuff here. From 'Staring Through My Eyes That Are Red':

Follow down into my lair
rotten smell, they smoke their weed there
her heady weed hits the air
I awake, from my coffin I stare
shaking hands, their bowl has fallen
to me this night, the pot has callen
I awake from death to toke it
hand from the fround, now I claim and smoke it
Smoke it
give to me, I wait and lie
graveyard slaughter, must get high
must get you dead
skull i split and scalp i peel
blazed as shit, can this be real
stoned as shit now
flesh i crave
for my munchies its your brain i save

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that 90% of what I have listened to this past week is Cannabis Corpse. The catalog is that fantastic with this being their debut LP. It's short, more like an EP and the vinyl actually also plays at 45 rpm. It is an absolute that if you like death metal and weed (thought that part isn't strictly necessary) you should check these guys out. Their catalog is for sale on Tankcrimes and you can also listen to each record on the site. The rest of the catalog is also as impressive as this first record, which is really saying something about the dedication and talent here. Go buy everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment